Self Care for Your Love Language
When you start your journey of loving who you are, inside and out, it can be really fun and helpful to find your love language! Love languages are the way each person understands and accepts love. People are very different from each other. What works for some people won’t necessarily work for others. So that’s why we here come up with the Self-Care Ideas for Your Love Language.
Let’s take a minute to go through each of them so that you can identify yours!
#1 Words of Affirmation
If compliments and affirmations mean a lot to you, while negative words can cut deeper than a knife, your love language may be Words of Affirmation.
Ask yourself a couple of questions: Can people turn your whole day around by simply saying the right, encouraging thing? Do you feel cherished just by someone speaking to you in a special way? Do compliments make you feel loved and appreciated more than almost anything else?
#2 Physical Touch
Do you value physical touch? Does your desire to be accepted revolve around a physical connection? Are you very touchy-feely with the people you feel closest with? From reassurance to gratitude; touching your hair, a warm embrace or holding your hand can soothe more than anything else.
#3 Quality Time
If you crave undivided attention or spending meaningful time to communicate (and interpret) feelings, this could be your language. When a person turns off their phone and makes you a priority, nothing could make you happier. Just the feeling of knowing that someone is making time for you can make you feel extra special.
Please don’t take this to mean that you are materialistic, that is not the case. It does mean that you feel loved, honored and appreciated when someone gives a token of kindness and gratitude. It could be hand picked flowers from a meadow, a thoughtful card, any tangible thing that makes you feel valued.
#5 Acts of Service
For you, the expression: “actions speak louder than words” is true. You feel affection when other people do something sweet for you. This could mean taking you to your favorite place, cooking a meal, or taking care of your duties and obligations for you so you can rest.
How Can You Practice Self Care Based on Your Love Language?
If love languages are how you feel love, it makes sense that using your love languages on yourself will totally amp up your self love!
But this goes beyond self love – for some, that still feels a little ways off. Even when self love feels difficult, practicing self care is a radical act that can get you there faster! Don’t ever feel guilty for it!
Let’s explore the different ways we can take care of our needs and connect with our bodies according to our love language.
Self Care for Words of Affirmation
- Lovingkindness Meditation – Find a comfortable seat & close your eyes. Hold an image of yourself in your head and repeat the phrase “May I be happy. May I be healthy. May I be at ease.” for 5 minutes while breathing deeply & fully.
- Get a daily mantra app that sends you daily positive messages. I use the iOS app Mantra! Every day I get an alert, check the app, and read out loud my mantra.
- Record an empowering message to yourself and play it when you’re feeling the need for self care
Self Care for Physical Touch
- Set aside some time each month for a massage
- Experiment with new skin care techniques
- Soak in a hot tub/sauna
- Go shopping & buy clothing that feels amazing against your skin
- Start a physical exercise routine that you can get excited about
Self Care for Quality Time
- Take yourself on a date; go to the movies and dinner or spend time that is all about what you enjoy with no distractions
- Find a new hobby that interests you and then set aside time for it
- Meditate and/or Journal. Turn your phone off, go somewhere peaceful and quiet and spend real time connecting with yourself
- Reach out to a dear friend & schedule time together
- Sign up for a class you’ve always wanted to take and commit to showing up
Self Care for Gifts
- Treat yourself to a boudoir photo session
- Go get a pedicure or manicure
- Enjoy a day at a spa or any environment you feel is special, positive and empowering
- Buy yourself something nice
- Sign up for a monthly subscription box – regular surprise gifts for yourself on autopilot!
- Put some money in a retirement fund (gift to your future self)
Self Care for Acts of Service
- Get organized. Go shopping and buy things that will make your life and chores easier
- Spend the day working on a project you have needed or wanted for a long time but never found the opportunity to complete
- Volunteer for a cause you believe in
- Do a favor for a friend or go run errands with a friend
Once you start engaging in activities that satisfy your needs and speak your love language, you will discover a whole new level of personal well being & self love!
Personally, my love languages are physical touch & words of affirmations. My monthly massages & daily affirmations help me feel so connected and supportive to myself!
Now it’s time to play & practice some self love! What’s your love language & what self care idea do you want to try?