I am going to cut right to it: it is of utmost importance for you to feel safe & comfortable in your boudoir shoot!
A boudoir shoot is not like a typical photoshoot. It is a lot more intimate, with a focus on full body shots & on embracing sensuality while feeling yourself. It isn’t just a “sexy” photoshoot, it’s an experience that allows you to step into your power & embrace all sides of you. To do that, you have to feel safe enough.
What Happens When The boudoir shoot Is Safe & Comfortable?
It’s not often when someone asks, “Hey, how are you feeling?” that you respond, “Safe.” But it doesn’t mean you aren’t feeling that way, & it’s important to consider what you need to feel secure.
Feeling safe can be defined in many ways, including being free from harm, stress, or hurt. Feeling safe means you are not actively anticipating harm or hurt, emotionally or physically.
What about the opposite?
For me, whenever I feel uncomfortable in a situation (for this I’m narrowing in on social situations) I often experience anxiety, increased stress, & butterflies in my stomach & if it’s seriously uncomfy, my body may freeze up, & I can hear my heart pounding loudly in my ear. How do you internalize not feeling safe?
You do not want to feel unsafe, stressed, or uncomfortable for a boudoir shoot. You will not have a good experience if you are feeling edgy or stressed. When you feel secure, your body inevitably relaxes, recognising that it is perfectly okay to let go, & be present.
Your shoulders will roll back, your jaw will feel loose, & your body may even feel like a dancer, ready to embrace the poses. You will feel free to openly chat about all sorts of things, not overthinking what you are doing or saying because you know you are safe & it is a judgment-free zone.
What Can A Boudoir Photographer Do To Ensure Comfort & Safety in the boudoir shoot?
In my opinion, the atmosphere needs to be curated by the photographer, & the good ones will ensure it. Be sure to do your research on photographers & don’t shy away from asking the right questions. It takes a fair amount of emotional intelligence to exceed in boudoir photography.
To ensure comfort & safety, the right photographers:
- Do not rush the process.
- Will have a conversation before the shoot to discuss comfort levels & boundaries, & ensure that all boundaries are respected.
- Not be overly critical, pushy, or disrespectful throughout the photoshoot.
- Be gentle & encouraging throughout.
- Offer positive feedback while being aware of verbal & physical cues offered by the client.
- Send information in advance about what to expect to help with pre-shoot jitters.
- Create a safe & welcoming environment with things like a private changing area, refreshments, & playing relaxing music.
How I Embrace Safety & Comfort during an Embodied Art Boudoir shoot
I do my best to ensure safety by instilling practices that make everyone walk into my studio feel solid & safe, making the photoshoot a success!
Feeling comfortable is of utmost priority for me at EAB. In addition to the points I mentioned above, I also offer the following to heighten the experience:
- I lead a body peace meditation before every shoot. This allows us both to get in touch with our energy, relax & feel grounded. The guided meditation focuses on body neutrality, sending intentional peace & happiness to your body.
- My studio is all about body neutrality & body positivity. I approach every shoot with complete acceptance, harboring no judgment. I SERIOUSLY admire all the courageous individuals who do boudoir shoots! My goal is to create an environment where you feel at utmost ease & empowered to be your authentic self. Together, we challenge societal norms & preconceived notions about appearance, shedding learned biases & embracing a sense of boldness.
- I strive to create space to approach the shoot from a growth-mindset intention for your overall experience.
- I prioritize the utmost respect for your personal space, boundaries, & autonomy. This begins with a comprehensive online questionnaire that asks for your pronouns & gauges your comfort level with nudity, ensuring a no-pressure experience. I strictly adhere to your verbal consent, limiting any hands-on touch solely to necessary adjustments to the pose, hair, or clothing. If you prefer not to be touched, I will deliver precise verbal instructions to accommodate your preferences.
- You will receive a PLETHORA of detailed information for the pre-shoot education series & consultation to help you feel confident & prepared to go into your boudoir shoot.
- I will play soft chill music & yes, this DJ takes requests!
- I will politely & actively challenge you if that uninvited inner critical thoughts & self-judgment start creeping in, supporting you to see how stunning you are.
- I allow you to have a look at un-retouched images & choose your level of editing – it’s not my place or right to try to change or fix your body. You are beautiful, even without ANY editing or Photoshop. But I will happily do some light editing, if that would be the right for you & your self-love journey.
- Be an incredibly positive, high energy & supportive hype gal!
The Power Of Safety
Each boudoir session is meticulously designed to meet the distinct requirements & desires of every person, creating an intimate & customised experience.
Within a secure & supportive environment, you will feel empowered to explore your sensuality, enhance your self-confidence, & nurture a profound sense of self-worth.
As a result, I hope for you to experience profound & long-lasting improvement in your emotional well-being, leaving an indelible mark on your life!
Ready to step into your power? Fill in the details below.