A lot of boudoir photographers describe their work as ’empowering’ – I’ve done it myself! But I’ve seen that term tossed around so much it started feeling empty. Empowerment photography, empowering boudoir session, “are you ready for the most empowering hour of your life”… it’s everywhere.
But what does that actually mean? What part of the boudoir experience ’empowers’ people? What will this experience offer them that’s so empowering?
When I asked myself and took a look at my values, empowerment was all about creating a container for my clients to discover and connect to themselves. To create a safe space where people are able to express and accept the hidden or shamed parts of themselves. Their sensuality, femininity, power, beauty. And I also thought about being someone who can help them identify and challenge those inner critic narratives keeping them small and hidden. They didn’t call me ‘The Knife’ in my yoga teacher training for no reason. I cut straight to the heart of the matter.
I also thought about what I’ve experienced as disempowering – being told what I should be feeling, being touched without my consent, or what happened at my first boudoir photo shoot – the photographer telling me to push my panties down without talking to me about my comfort level with nudity first. I’ve absorbed past clients’ candid positive & critical (and extremely appreciated feedback) feedback.
Using everything I’ve experienced and learned, I can share with you how Embodied Art Boudoir seeks to empower each and every client.
What Exactly Does Empowering Photography Mean?
I can’t speak for other photographers, but at Embodied Art Boudoir ’empowering’ means:
- Creating space for you to set a growth-mindset intention for your overall experience – from photoshoot to photo enjoying.
- Helpful pre shoot education series & consultation so you have all your questions answered and feel confident & prepared going into your boudoir day.
- A guided mindfulness meditation to help you center & connect to your body before being in front of the camera.
- Respect of your personal space, boundaries, and autonomy – from asking for your pronouns, to asking your comfort level with nudity in a no-pressure online questionnaire, to only receiving hands-on touch (for adjustments to the pose, hair, clothing) with your verbal consent. I’m very good at modeling the pose and giving clear verbal instruction if you prefer not to be touched!
- I’m your vocal & enthusiastic cheerleader from the beginning to the end. I am constantly appreciating all the beautiful things about you so you feel confident in front of the camera!
- Judgement free space – at Embodied Art Boudoir we celebrate ALL body types. You’ll never be shamed for your body, your sexuality, your femininity, your power, your body hair, your scars, your fears, your style, or anything that makes you feel different.
- Challenging you when inner critic thoughts and self judgements start to materialize and block you from seeing how stunning you are. Can you let your body, heart, and soul surprise & delight you?
- See unretouched images and choose your level of editing – it’s not my place or right to try to change or fix your body. You are beautiful, even without ANY editing or Photoshop. But I will happily do some light editing for your digital or print products if that would be the right move for you and your self-love journey.
- No high-sales-pressure Viewing & Ordering Session – you can go through all the pricing & product info on your own time after you book. Then, set up a PREpayment plan to make your desired purchase fit easier in your budget AND not have to worry about paying for everything the day of your shoot. (Though if you’re so obsessed with your images that you need to upgrade for more you can just let me know!)
Let’s face it – when you’re half-naked (or fully naked) in front of a camera there can feel like there’s a power imbalance with the photographer. I want you to keep your power so you feel as comfortable & confident in the studio as you do rocking your favourite outfit or sweats!
You are the driver of your experience. You set your intention and decide what this experience will do for you. I provide the structure, support, and opportunity for YOU to create an experience that delights you, feeds you, grows you, and ultimately empowers you.
Now that you’ve seen my heart, I want to know what ’empowerment means to you! Let me know in the comments below!