The countdown is on for your boudoir photoshoot! You’ve read what not to do before your photoshoot and followed all of the steps to get glowing skin. But you still can’t quite shake that cold feet feeling. Sometimes, negative thoughts about your body can cloud your judgment and leave you feeling insecure and unsure of yourself and your beauty!
If that sounds like you right now, I highly recommend taking the time to indulge in body-positive affirmations. Affirmations will increase confidence, motivate you, change your thought patterns, and ultimately, influence your subconscious mind to readjust your opinion of yourself. They’ll also get you fired up for your photoshoot!!
What are body positive affirmations?
Using body positive affirmations & body positive quotes can truly transform the way you think and feel about your body. Affirmations, if you have yet to add them into your routine, are bold and powerful statements or quotes that lead your thoughts from negative to positive.
Humans have around 60,000 unique thoughts every day – and 80% of those are negative (!!!) – if a lot of those thoughts are beating yourself up or focusing on the things you dislike about your body, it can be exhausting and unhelpful. Affirmations strive to bring out unconscious thoughts to confront them and reframe them.
How do you use body-positive affirmations?
There are plenty of ways to use and implore affirmations and while I highly recommend them all the time, I extra recommend them the night before your boudoir photoshoot!
You can get started on affirmation in the following ways:
Mirror work: stand in front of a mirror and repeat your body positive affirmations to yourself in the mirror while smiling to try to invoke some energy into your words (bring passion to your voice!).
Set reminders: Using your smartphone or home automation system, set reminders and alarms to go off multiple times a day, labeled as body-positive affirmations, or have your automation read the affirmations out loud. I have 3 alarms every, which is an awesome starting place.
Write: Putting pen to paper is soooo useful. Try to get away from screens for a moment and use whatever you have to hand, which can be scraps of paper and an old pen. It definitely does not need to be a fancy journal or calligraphy. Try writing down affirmations every day, at a time you like whether that be morning or night.
Set your device backgrounds: Set your body positive affirmations as both your phone and laptop screensaver. Considering how much we use our devices, it’s a positive little reminder every time you pick them up.
Catch yourself: When you find your mind wandering or focussing on something negative about your body, take a moment to stop yourself – gently but mindfully reframing your inner critic to a body-positive affirmation.
11 Body Positive Affirmations
Pick 1-2 to start:
- I am cultivating a peaceful relationship with my body.
- Respecting my body and feeding it well is the ultimate form of self-care.
- I am tuned into my body. I am actively listening to, nourishing, and appreciating my body.
- I deeply accept myself and am grateful for everything my body does for me.
- My value is not tied to my looks.
- I love my body for keeping me healthy & strong.
- My relationship with my body is grounded in peace, kindness, compassion, and respect.
- My body and I are beautiful.
- I am thankful for my strength.
- I choose to appreciate and love my body.
- I love the way I feel when I take good and proper care of my body.
BONUS Affirmation: I AM A MASTERPIECE
You can – and totally should – write your very own affirmations! How? Here are some steps to writing your own body-positive affirmations personalized to you:
- Spend some time reflecting on what negative self-talk you experience the most. What does your inner critic say the most frequently and loudest?
- Once you’ve identified the loudest negative self-talk, ask yourself: does this thought build me up or tear me down?
- If the answer is yes, it builds me up, turn it into an affirmation and repeat it regularly!
- If the answer is that it tears you down, makes you doubt yourself, or is focussed on your ‘flaws,’ ask yourself: what is the positive opposite of this thought? An example of a negative thought is: “Ugh I hate how big my arms look.” . Reframing this into a positive thought would sound like: “My arms are strong and important because they help me to lift my kids and hug my loved ones.” Another example could be: “I won’t get a partner until I lose these last 15 pounds” reframed this would be, “I will find a partner who loves and accepts all parts of me because my worth is not tied to my weight.”
My mind & body are sacred & I will take care of them
Affirmations are a free, accessible, and uncomplicated act of self-care that is incredibly transformative. Using affirmations can truly bring joy and peace into your life and help reconstruct and remodel your thoughts on your body image.
You’ve already taken the impressive step of booking one of the most revolutionary self-care acts by undertaking a boudoir photoshoot so if you are feeling nervous, try using the power of affirmations.
I leave you with this quote about the importance of affirmations: “It’s only a thought and a thought can be changed.”
Will you try body positive affirmations to heal your body image?